Switzerland is an expensive paradise. It is an ideal destination for honeymoon, solo travelling, family holiday, adventure sports, water sports and night life. We visited Switzerland on our 1st marriage anniversary and covered popular and not-so-popular places in Zurich, Interlaken, Engelberg, Lucerne and Zug. Based on my Switzerland tour, these are the 11 reasons why I fell in love with Switzerland.
- Walking on Interlaken roads
Interlaken is a beautiful town that lies between Lake Thun and Lake Brienz. It is one the favourite vacation destination in Switzerland. You can spend your day the way to want it – take a walk on the Interlaken road, go shopping, indulge in food delicacies, or try adventure sports activities . We spent our time walking on Interlaken roads, talking to locals and exploring the areas near Lake Thun and Lake Brienz.
- Shopping in Lucerne
A 6 inch chicken Sub (Subway) cost 9 CHF i.e. 3 times costlier than in India. Switzerland is one of the most expensive countries in the world. Switzerland is famous for so many things that buying a souvenir is a must. Interlaken and Zurich are expensive when it comes to shopping. If you are a shopaholic then go shopping in Lucerne as this place is comparatively cheaper.
Popular things you can buy
- Under 5 CHF – I could not find anything worth buying
- 5- 10 CHF – Fridge Magnets, Cow with Swiss cross (Small Size), Key Chains
- 10-20 CHF – Handmade Wooden Toys, Trychel Cow Bell
- 20-50 CHF – Cuckoo Clock, Cheese Fondue Set, Handmade Wooden Toys, Trychel Cow Bell (Bigger Size), Swiss handmade chocolate (100-200 grams)
- 50-300 CHF – Victorinox Swiss Army Knife, Swiss watches
- 500 CHF and above – Swiss Luxury Watches
Recommended Shop for buying souvenirs – Casagrande
- Scenic train and bus journeys
The Swiss Alps are beautiful. The Scenic bus and train routes provide a relaxing way to exploring the landscape that makes Switzerland so unique.
- Mount Titlis in Engelberg
The journey from the base village Engelberg to the summit of Klein Titlis via Cable car and 360 degree rotair is fantastic. After arriving at Klein Titlis, the Ice Flyer will take you to Snow Park and you can see the fascinating glacier below. Snowtubing in the park is an ultimate sledding experience.
- Visit the Snow Park in the morning. It gets crowded after 10:30 am. Park entry and Snowtubing is free!
- You will get warm clothes on rent at Titlis but it is very expensive. Carry warm clothes if you plan to visit this place.
- There are restaurants at the Valley Station as well as Titlis summit station. The restaurants at the top are comparatively expensive.
- Rhine Falls
The Rhine falls near Zürich was one of the highlights of our Switzerland tour. It is 150 meters wide, 23 meters high and 15,000+ year old. You can take a boat tour to experience the falls even closer. You can get all the details about the falls – Rhine Falls
- Trummelbach falls
Trummelbach Falls was a unique water-falling experience we had so far. The waterfall lies within the slot canyon carved by its own power. The interesting patterns of the sculpted walls of the slot canyon are something to look out for apart from the gigantic falls.
To know more about how to reach the falls, trip cost and journey time visit my blog on Trummelbach Falls.
- Swiss chalet surrounded by green fields
The Gabled roofs, decorative carving and mouldings, small windows and cows grazing in the green fields outside the house make these chalets a perfect homestay destination in Switzerland.
- Cheese and Chocolates
Switzerland is a home to many chocolatiers who produce incredibly fresh chocolates every week. It is expensive but it is definite must-try.
Switzerland is also famous for different types of cheese like Appenzeller, Raclette, Berner Alpkäse, Emmental and Gruyère. Do try cheese fondue. It is delicious!
- Cow and cow bell
The Swiss make a special cow bell out of pressed sheet metal known as a Trychel which has a distinct clank. Waking up to the sound of cow bells was one of the best parts of staying in Switzerland. You can see the old fashioned farm culture in the scenic parts of Switzerland.
Switzerland is home to various lakes. The lakes, mountain ranges and meadows add to the scenic beauty of Switzerland. Some of the popular crystal clear mountain lakes in Switzerland are Lake Zurich, Lake Geneva Lake Thun, Lake Brienz and Lake Neuchatel.
- Hiking in picturesque mountains
Hiking is easy in Switzerland with options of one day or multi-day hikes. With so much beauty around, you need to explore some trails.
Some more pictures from my Switzerland tour